Michael Jackson was a talent. He was, in his prime, an 'A-List' entertainer. His work with the Jackson 5 was superbly representative of a specific kind of late 60's/early 70's Motown/ethnic music. As a solo act, Michael Jackson produced the best selling record of all time, Thriller. Jackson's work in music videos was singularly influential: there's Michael Jackson and there's no one else.
In my opinion, the actual music was not particularly groundbreaking. I think Smokey Robinson--one of the great songwriters of the pop world--was being generous in claiming Michael was the best performer that ever lived. He wrote hit songs...Billie Jean and Beat It are two, but he was certainly not a songwriter in the category of Lennon, MacCartney, Smokey Robinson himself, Lieber/Stoller, Stevie Wonder...just to name a few and without even getting into Gershwin, Berlin, etc. Of course, Frank Sinatra was not a song writer either; nor was Elvis. Jackson was certainly a significant black artist who was among the early generation major black entertainers to appeal equally to all races.
I think it is fine that he was hailed as the 'greatest' performer ever in the history of the universe or of any universe to come...this is the kind of thing that happens at memorial services. And, if those who control his estate are smart, he'll find that while death isn't so great for your life, it's often great for your career. And, for the past 15 years, Michael Jackson's had no career. He's been a freak show, but musically irrelevant.
Although I watched the entire memorial, I found was disturbed by it. I felt as a voyeur...I kept thinking about those children of his and his parents. I kept wondering if this memorial service actually served any therapeutic value for the family. But, of course, the family permitted this and likely wanted it. They could have had a private ceremony.
Which led me to realize how much Michael Jackson was, more than anything, the world we live in today. Virtually every moment of his life and his death was open for the world to see and we couldn't get enough. From his stunning performances as a cute 10/11 year boy, to the 'Wacko Jacko' plastic surgery, dangling babies, child molestation charges--there was nothing off limits about his life. And in some way, his parents are responsible for that and clearly, he stood in a difficult relationship with his own fame. He clearly craved the spotlight as he was repelled by it.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.